Saturday, January 20, 2007

Weekish Update: Snow, Ikea, and First Photography Class

Snow

GASP, first day of snow; that means salt = my car is crying. =-(


Ikea Trip

I went to Ikea during this week, because I needed a rug. I wanted one for my living room, to cover up speaker wire that goes to my rear channels. I didn't buy one, because they were too expensive. So, I got a kitchen timer instead. I didn't take a picture, but its just a small stainless steel cylinder cut into two pieces. The top part you twist to set the time, go figure.

What? Asian guy at Ikea? WTF?


Sorry guys, I'm retiring. Picked up the ol' money tree at Ikea.


He's a late bloomer.


This, here, is retarded! Of course, if you were going to swipe your credit card you'd go for the little machine to the right like EVERY OTHER STORE. But no, you swipe on the big lcd screen. Of course, if I paid attention to the animated movie on the screen I would have known this but of course I didn't. Ikea lady walked over and had to point it out to me. I bet she does this several times a day; gotta make her earn her money!


Photography Class

Today was my first day of my photography class. I had to go drive a little while to get to campus... a little funny when I got there cause it was lookin a little ghetto around there. Urban decay makes for great pictures but I dunno how I feel walking around with a couple hundred dollar camera around my neck. Honestly, my camera isn't that expensive but with the filter adapter it looks like a SLR. Anyway, that area wasn't that bad; I've seen far worse but the graffiti was a nice greeting off the highway.

I followed my Google directions, which are correct but the street address I looked up was pretty worthless cause it put me in some drop off parking loop. I also had a map of the campus printed out, so I attempted to follow that. A funny situation happened, cause I was just about to turn right and this guy is crossing the street. I wait for him, and start inching out but he looks at me and points in the other direction. I realized I'm turning onto the wrong way (stupid one way streets), waved him thanks and go strait. I drove around a little while and eventually got to the parking structure.

I wandered around a little on campus, attempting to follow my map. I've never been on an art school campus before, so seeing some of the stuff in the various buildings was pretty impressive. Theres a bunch of students there, and some workshops where I could see people working on projects. I finally found my building, and they have a small gallery set up on the first floor. My class was in the basement.

Hah, I'm one of 2 guys in the entire class of like 15 people. Ages range from high school to retired. Quite a few of those women had some fancy cameras, but didn't sound like they knew how to use them. I don't know why people go off and drop $1k on a DSLR and have no idea how to use it. I hope these people realize that someone can shoot with a shitty point and shoot and take better photographs.

The teacher is pretty cool, shes like mid twenties. We just started off with some really simple basics on how she was going to run the class, nothing too special for now. I ended up shooting the shit with her for like an hour after class. Haha; she's a 4 year engineering student who quit and went to art school, with a whopping like 18 credit hours that transferred. She did photography back in high school. Kinda refreshing to hear a similar story from someone.

Anyway, drove home afterwards. I was pretty low on gas, so I was going to exit early to get to one of the cheap gas stations I know but I forgot. So I went the long way, and went to this one other ghetto gas station I know. I noticed how all the local stations jacked up gas for the weekend and then I saw the price here; freakin only $1.83! Damn, I thought I pulled some shit last week but this was even better!

No comments: