Monday, December 04, 2006

Snow, Girls, Random Businessmen/Hustlers at PIzza Places, and FINALLY TIRES!

So, I got off work today and I walk towards the exit and GASP because it's f'ing snowing! I put my wheels back on a while ago, but they are cheapo all seasons and I've been beating on those tires. Get in my car and Good LORD! Can't even put down 1/3 throttle without spinning. Tap some brakes, and the lock up is even more scary than the lack of traction for acceleration. I make a quick, but late, decision that I should buy snow tires; I concluded that a set of snow tires is cheaper than buying a new car.

I had some shit planned today, wanted to check out some new glasses and buy some groceries but the city practically fell apart thanks to the weather... It was literally crawling at a turtle's pace. I remember that I need to cash some money, so I hit up the ATM. I passed some random girl in the parking lot, who shoots me this kinda blank kinda surprised look, but I politely smile anyway. Thankfully, I get a smile back; you can laugh but I'm pretty used to getting ice cold responses, especially from white girls back at school. Get in the building and pass some cute black girl; my and ol' roommate joked that hot black girls only exist on TV. The black guys must secretly hide them in public or something, cause I usually never see one in person.

I get my money and bout an hour later, I finally make it to a tire place. Guy tells me what they got in stock and the price, so I'm like fuck it... Gotta get this over with so I agree to the price tag. Calls the guy at the warehouse to pick my shit up, and tells me they'll be done before close. I drop the keys off and walk out to buy some dinner. I run into the typical BS fast food, but continue down the street anyway. See a couple places, but nothing interests me. I walk past one pizza place, good cheap deal in the window and I notice this guy sitting by himself at one of the tables. He smiles at me, like if he knew me.

I continue to walk past, a little wierded out by Random Guy, and still looking for food. I get a little further but nothing seems to be worth walking anymore, so I turn back and decide on pizza. They don't have chicken, so I get ground beef with jalapeno instead (chicken + jalapeno is awesome). I end up shooting the shit with Random Guy. He's well dressed, looks like a professional, and he tells me that he works in some kind of small business out of town, but still lives here. Takes a good, correct, guess at where I work and we eventually end up talking about my uncertainty about the future of my career.

He asks me if I'm interested in getting into business, since he's doing that stuff and asks for my number. I want to be polite and give him I get to about 3 numbers, but I'm a little concerned. My memory shoots back to a similar experience a year ago at a bookstore; some random well dressed guy who also asks me about working for some kind of business. Guy shoots me all these kinds of amazing dollar figures but I felt like that guy was trying to scam me; so I was pretty skeptical about this guy. I tell him that he should just give me his business card and I'll call him. He says he just submitted them to get printed but ends up writing his number on a piece of paper from the little notebook he was carrying. Guy wasn't pushy, so I didn't get the same vibe from him than Shady Bookstore guy.

I can look at these situations two ways; a) the guy is trying to be ambitious wants new partners, thinking I look and speak intelligently or b) he thinks I'm that nigga to steal on, tryin to hustle my ass or c) a combination of both still resulting in getting hustled. What do you think? I guess you can leave a comment.

Guy gets his pizza and exits around the corner. I sit around for a couple minutes and eventually get my pizza, which I proceed to eat. Walk back down the street, pizzabox in hand, and back to the tire place. Long story short, I end up sitting there for like 2 hours, for a total time of over 3 hours. I then find out that they only loaded 3 of my specific tires and I'll have to come back tomorrow... WTF! Guy tells me they'll stick whatever extra snow tire on there and I'll get it swapped tomorrow.

I eventually get my car back, and head home... no time for groceries now. I'm a little skeptical about the performance, but I notice pretty fast that it's significantly improved. I wanted to make it back to watch Heros but damn! I gotta go do some automotive ice skating! Gotta make sure my tires are good right? I run around, looking for parking lots and putting down some throttle. The amount of grip are night and day; I pretty much was an accident waiting to happen on those shit tires. I bullshit for a little while, but then head to one parking lot I know that should be good. I rip around there, getting some sideways rally drivin action. Engine light flickers on and then stays on, ending the night. I drive back and park my car.

Engine light is now on, but this is the second time I got it. Light blinked earlier this week. Car is stumbling at about 2k and up until it clears up and goes back to normal. It's still driveable so I'm not totally worried. I gotta check the CEL code and figure out what's wrong with the car. I pop the hood, just in case, but there's nothing. I already checked the fluids the last time it came on. I take a look at my tires, and I notice that the supposedly wrong brand tire was not put on... The old shit one is still there. Those fuckers, I should complain tomorrow.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I see no hurt in making new connections. Just don't go quiting your job yet...

That's my ultra simplistic view, seeing as I have no real basis for my decision. Take it with a grain of salt.