Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Driver Training - Fun SHIT

Today was awesome, I got to do driver training. Probably the only real fun say of work I'll ever have, unless I can go back and do more training. We trained in a regular family car, but with a roll cage, 5 point harnesses at each seat, good tires, and probably matching pads. Despite being a family car, it does suprisingly well, but I think its cause of the harnesses. Did some training drill type stuff to start and had a full course later, more like a high speed autox.

I had some fun runs, and apparently my instructor was getting a good kick out of them cause I was getting a little sideways. My instructor was a badass, freakin 60 year old GRANDMA kickin ass on the course. I had this big grin plastered on my face when she did a full speed run, so freakin SMOOTH but she's been doing it for a couple years; seat time pays!

Anyway, I actually didn't do very well in testing at the beginning. I was supposed to stay consistent with my times, but I went into autox/competition mode and kept trying to go faster. I thought I would level out, but I psyched myself out and started doing worse. Instructor gave me a second chance, saying that she knew I had plenty of talent but I just needed to focus on keeping consistent and not psyching myself out. Went on the second time, and I had to pay a lot of attention to NOT trying to get faster. I was in autox mode, and realized I could go faster on one part but then remembered I wasn't supposed too, LOL. Got scolded, because I cut like 4 seconds off the last run, LOL. Anyway, I just focused on trying to stay consistent, did fine until like the very last lap and maybe screwed up a little but the instructor gave me another lap and I cleaned it up.

Instructor gave me a lot of compliments at the end, seemed like she thought I could do the next level of training (SEAT TIME = best mod evar) but that gets complicated. We cant see the times because they don't want us to complete. But I saw my first run, which was the slow recon run / practice run and I still beat the minimum time... LOL

No comments: